Sunday, October 2, 2011

AV2011 Day2: Train Spotting

Many years ago I worked for CN Signals, wiring the metal sheds that contain the control equipment located at each siding along this rail line from Edmonton to Vancouver. I didn't wire each one myself, but I do seem to recall working on the one for Spence's Bridge.

I wonder if these are the same buildings in service today? The ones I worked on were being installed back in the mid '70s... the control relays being installed comprised large physical switches. There was little use of solid state technology then, and even though it was coming of age, Canadian National was notorious for being slow to adopt anything new. The rail cars and bunk cars we used when out on the line installing this equipment were all out of the 1940s and 50s. I'm not exaggerating.

I've got to guess that these have been updated to much more sophisticated technology by now - but who knows. There was something satisfying about the old relays. Each one was about the size of a large university textbook - or a copy of Victor Hugo's Les Miserable. It was a comfortable size to work with, and having clear plastic (how modern!) walls, you could actually look inside and watch the mechanical switches moving up and down, making or breaking contacts as controlled by the magnetic masters.

In those days, this equipment was being installed as part of the modernizing of the train control system. All the sidings west of Edmonton, up to Jasper or some such place were now to be controlled from a central control board in Edmonton. The next sector west was being routed into a control room located in Vancouver. All the bungaloes (as the control sheds located at each siding are called) were being wired in the CN Calder shops and then shipped out on flat car to the field for installation. I originally worked on one of these crews when I started with CN, but then later I was able to arrange a transfer into town after Paul was born. After doing this job for a couple of years I went back to University, but they re-hired me as summer help for a couple of seasons. As I was experienced already, the pay was much better than minumum wage, so it helped finanance my education - and my flight training!

-- gmc --

No comments: