Thursday, April 5, 2007

Gethsemane prayer ...

While I'm reviewing this Jesus Christ, Superstar video, I thought I'd post a couple more favorite clips:

The Garden of Gethsamane:


While this song is powerful, I personally find the actor plays the role with a touch too much 'bitterness.' In my own "head movie" version, Jesus, though confused and tired and struggling deeply with this final step God requires, comes to a more resigned conclusion, and the "Take me now, before I change my mind." line, conveys the sense of "Hurry, before I lose my courage and resolve to face this..."

I have seen another clip of a stage production where another actor captured that same sentiment I imagined. I'll post that if I find it.

Found one - not the one I'm after. I think this singer gives a great performance. What I like is in another key line, when "Jesus" sings: "What you started - I didn't start it..." And that is not a cry of frustration but rather realization. Realization that this is all God's doing, not a human endeavor. Therefore the line inspires the confidence and strength to go on to "see the saga through..."

See if you like this version (unfortunately, it's not from a play, but a solo presentation - oh well):


Well, you know - for this song, it's pretty hard to beat Ted Neely's 1973 performance in the original motion picture version. Go Ted.

No comments: