Thursday, April 19, 2007

What makes me what I am?

We humans have the capacity to do something that no other creature on earth (as far as I know) can do. In fact we are required by our very nature to do this. Believe.

Our self-awareness and free-will demand that we choose what we will believe to be true and untrue. And upon which grand ideas and concepts we will base our lives. No-one expressed this better than Rich Mullins in his song, "Creed:" -- "I believe what I believe is what makes me what I am."

Thanks to someone for posting this Rich Mullins song on Youtube.




A few more words from this deep-thinking, deep-feeling songwriter.

"Nothing makes me feel as inadequate as trying to put language on what I saw today." --Rich Mullins

"Deliver us from evil - from moral duplicity and weakness, from laziness and spiritual complacency, from those lies we tell ourselves from our fear of facing the truth." --Rich Mullins

"I think I would envy me too, if I didn't know me better..." --Rich Mullins

"I did not read the Bible today. I am not very good at being religious and don't really feel too bad about not being too good. I do wish that I loved God and His creatures more..." --Rich Mullins

"The best that can happen is that someone can catch a glimpse of the glory you're hinting at." --Rich Mullins

"If you live real good, I can guarantee you are gonna get beat up real bad!" --Rich Mullins

No comments: